Financing Your Education at Southern California Health Institute

  • Tuition Payment
  • Student Loans – Student Responsibility
  • Student Account Overage
  • Dependency Overrides & Professional Judgment
  • Federal Financial Aid Eligibility & Awarding Aid
  • Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF)

Southern California Health Institute accepts payment for tuition, books, equipment and other fees through cash payment, visa, Mastercard, personal and/or third-party check. SOCHi will also assist students in applying for student financial assistance in order to defray the cost of their education.

At the school's discretion, installment payments may also be arranged. Students assume the responsibility for payment of the tuition costs in full, either through direct payment or through a third party financial plan. All financial arrangements must be made before the beginning of classes. The school will contact students who are delinquent in paying tuition and fees.

They will then be counseled and encouraged to make specific arrangements with the school in order to remove their delinquency and remain in good financial standing. Various payment schedules are available depending on whether the student is self-paying, using Federal Financial Aid, Veteran Benefits, WIOA benefits, or is an international student.

For details on eligibility for federal student aid and/or other types of payment plans, please visit the finance office on campus.

If the student is eligible, and obtains a loan guaranteed by the federal or state government to pay for an educational program, the student will have the responsibility to repay the full amount of the loan plus interest, less the amount of any refund.

If the student receives federal student aid funds, the student is entitled to a refund of the moneys not paid from federal financial aid funds.

If a student is eligible for a loan guaranteed by the federal or state government and the student defaults on the loan (1) the federal or state government or a loan guarantee agency may take action against the student, including attaching any income tax refund to which the person is entitled to reduce the balance owed on the loan. (2) The student may not be eligible for any other federal student financial aid at another institution or other government assistance until the loan is repaid.

Students who are eligible for more Federal Financial Aid than the cost of their program of study will have an overage on their student account once the second disbursement is applied.

In those cases, the school will credit the student’s ledger account for the amount of Title IV funds the student or parent is eligible to receive and pay the amount of any credit balance due before the school submits a request for Title IV funds. A check will be issued to the student and students may pick up their overage checks at the Student Finance Office.

A Dependency Override occurs when a Student Finance Advisor exercises professional judgment and overrides the Department of Education’s criteria for dependent students.

An override may only be granted on a case by case basis for students with unusual and exceptional circumstances.

These circumstances must show compelling reason for a student to be considered independent rather than dependent. The decision is made final by the Director of Student Finance.

Federal Financial Aid is available to those who qualify. All applicants for Title IV Federal Student Aid funds must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each award year. Once the FAFSA is received in the Student Finance Office, the student’s Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is determined. The EFC is subtracted from the Cost of Attendance (COA) to determine each student’s demonstrated financial need.

PELL Grants will be awarded based on the student’s EFC unless a student holds a Bachelor’s degree or higher. Eligibility for Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Direct Loans will be calculated and added to the package.

A review of the following information is made prior to awarding Federal Financial Aid:

  • Citizenship or permanent resident status
  • High school diploma or GED
  • Admitted into SOCHi
  • Not in default on any Title IV financial aid program
  • Selective Service registration status
  • Aggregate Loan amounts

“The State of California established the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) to relieve or mitigate economic loss suffered by a student in an educational program at a qualifying institution, who is or was a California resident while enrolled, or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition, and suffered an economic loss.

Unless relieved of the obligation to do so, you must pay the state-imposed assessment for the STRF, or it must be paid on your behalf, if you are a student in an educational program, who is a California resident, or are enrolled in a residency program, and prepay all or part of your tuition.

You are not eligible for protection from the STRF and you are not required to pay the STRF assessment, if you are not a California resident, or are not enrolled in a residency program.” (b) In addition to the statement required under subdivision (a) of this section, a qualifying institution shall include the following statement in its school catalog: “It is important that you keep copies of your enrollment agreement, financial aid documents, receipts, or any other information that documents the amount paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833, (916) 431-6959 or (888) 370-7589. To be eligible for STRF, you must be a California resident or are enrolled in a residency program, prepaid tuition, paid or deemed to have paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:

  • 1. The institution, a location of the institution, or an educational program offered by the institution was closed or discontinued, and you did not choose to participate in a teach-out plan approved by the Bureau or did not complete a chosen teach-out plan approved by the Bureau.
  • 2. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution within the 120-day period before the closure of the institution or location of the institution or were enrolled in an educational program within the 120-day period before the program was discontinued.
  • 3. You were enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution more than 120 days before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, in an educational program offered by the institution as to which the Bureau determined there was a significant decline in the quality or value of the program more than 120 days before closure.
  • 4. The institution has been ordered to pay a refund by the Bureau but has failed to do so.
  • 5. The institution has failed to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federal student loan program as required by law or has failed to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution in excess of tuition and other costs.
  • 6. You have been awarded restitution, a refund, or other monetary award by an arbitrator or court, based on a violation of this chapter by an institution or representative of an institution, but have been unable to collect the award from the institution.
  • 7. You sought legal counsel that resulted in the cancellation of one or more of your student loans and have an invoice for services rendered and evidence of the cancellation of the student loan or loans. To qualify for STRF reimbursement, the application must be received within four (4) years from the date of the action or event that made the student eligible for recovery from STRF.

A student whose loan is revived by a loan holder or debt collector after a period of no collection may, at any time, file a written application for recovery from STRF for the debt that would have otherwise been eligible for recovery. If it has been more than four (4) years since the action or event that made the student eligible, the student must have filed a written application for recovery within the original four (4) year period, unless the period has been extended by another act of law.

However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or a taxpayer identification number.” Note: Authority cited: Sections 94803, 94877 and 94923, Education Code. Reference: Section 94923, 94924 and 94925, Education Code.

Finance Your Education at SOCHi

Type of Aid Available

Students are offered, when eliligible, a combination of several types of aid. These may include federal grants, federal and loans, VA (Veteran Affairs) education benefits, and state funding for dislocated workers.

Financial Aid Policies

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires that postsecondary institutions participating in federal student aid programs disclose information from various administrative areas to students. The information to be disclosed here is intended to support Southern California Health Institute’s compliance with federal law. Visit the HEOA website for more information.

Department of Homeland Security Logo

Learn More at Southern California Health Institute Newsroom

Latest Posts and News